At the School Board Work Session, Manheim Township School Board of Directors publicly discussed the nine options for the future of the Middle School that was presented to them at a public meeting on February 2.
The district held a public meeting on Thursday, February 2, 2017 to discuss the future of the Manheim Township Middle School. At the public meeting, Remington, Vernick & Beach (RVB) Engineers reviewed their recent facility audit for the district, and based on their research and in attempt to show due diligence, the engineers presented nine (9) different options, with total construction cost estimations, for the School Board to consider for the Manheim Township Middle School. The nine options presented were:
- Renovate the existing middle school only, with no program modifications-estimated $42-45 million
- Renovations and additions to Middle School with program modifications-estimated $54-59 million
- Convert Landis Run Intermediate School to a 7-8 Middle School and renovate existing Middle School for grades 5-6 – estimated $52-57 million
- 3-story Middle School addition onto the High School – estimated $64-69 million
- 4-story Middle School addition onto the High School – estimated $67-72 million
- New 3-story Middle School on north athletic field – estimated $63-68 million
- New 4-story Middle School on north athletic field – estimated $64-69 million
- New 2-story Middle School on west property line – estimated $63-68 million
- New 3-story Middle School on west property line – estimated $64-69 million
During the public Work Session on February 9, the School Board members openly discussed and ranked each option as “viable”, “somewhat viable”, and “not viable”. The public dialogue format provided each Board Member’s perspective and why he/she offered the ratings for viability/non-viability.
Based on this discussion, the most viable options for the Board to consider and vote at a special School Board Meeting on February 23rd are:
- Option 4: 3-story Middle School addition onto the High School
- Option 6: New 3-story Middle School on north athletic field
- Option 8: New 2-story Middle School on west property line
- Option 9: New 3-story Middle School on west property line
Immediately following the Board Work Session, MTSD offered a public Question and Answer session with Ken Philips, financial advisor with RBC Capital Markets, and the RVB Engineers to provide the community the opportunity to ask questions about debt refinancing and other finance- related questions pertaining to the middle school. Below is the presentation by Ken Philips presented to the Board during the Work Session.
Manheim Township School District is offering community public tours of the Middle School on the following dates:
- Saturday, February 11, 2017 from 10:00am-12:00pm
- Sunday, February 12, 2017 from 2:00-4:00pm
The School Board will again publicly discuss the Middle School project at the School Board Meeting on Thursday, February 16, 2017, at 7:00 pm in the Middle School Auditorium. There will be a special voting meeting on Thursday, February 23rd at 7:00 pm at the Middle School.
The community is invited and encouraged to attend.